Biochemistry refers to the multitude of chemical processes that occur within the body. Metabolism refers to how our bodies take in, convert, and eliminate what is consumed from food, drink, and air. Metabolism can be thought of, more simply, as how our bodies convert nutrients into energy. Targeting the body's metabolism through nutrition, detoxification, and other steps can support your child’s developing nervous system.
Nutrition and Detoxification
What we eat has a profound impact on the body's biochemistry. Research has shown that children with developmental delays have differences in their body's metabolism, and these differences increase their need for certain nutrients.
A key aspect of metabolism, mitochondrial function, is one of the most important factors in determining the health and function of the cells in the body -- all 100 billion of them! For some children, increasing nutrient intake is the right approach. For other children, eliminating certain foods may be a higher priority (due to food allergies or sensitivities).
Many pesticides and industrial chemicals have been found in research studies to be toxic to the developing brain, and we believe that it is essential to avoid childhood exposure as much as possible.
Gastrointestinal, Immune, Hormonal, and Other Therapies for Autism
The biochemical environment of the brain is dependent on many other systems in the body, including the gastrointestinal, immune, and endocrine systems. For this reason, our testing and treatment extends to these systems. We look at the body as a whole and recognize that improving the health of other systems in the body is an essential step toward improving brain development.
A Personalized Biochemical Analysis
We will gain insight into your child’s biochemistry through:
- Information from the medical history and examination
- Mitochondrial and other metabolic testing
- Nutrition analysis
- Food and environmental allergy and sensitivity testing
- Stool analysis
- Immune and hormonal testing
- Genetic testing
Autism Treatments that Use Biochemistry
Based on our findings, we'll create an individualized autism treatment plan that may include:
- Dietary modifications, such as specific elimination diets or, in some cases, tailored nutrient-dense dietary programs
- Nutritional supplements, including vitamins, minerals, herbs, and other natural compounds
- Interventions to enhance the body’s natural detoxification pathways and to reduce exposure to toxicants
- Medications to help correct the effects of biochemical disturbances
Should treatments that use biochemistry be part of your child's customized program at Cortica? To determine what your child's developing mind needs most, we employ a methodical step-by-step approach using the highest quality laboratory tests available.