Neurophysiology is the term used within the field of medicine to refer to the electrical activity in the nervous system. Diagnostic technologies, such as electroencephalography (EEG), allow us to measure the brain's electrical patterns. Therapeutic technologies, such as neurofeedback, magnetic stimulation, and other forms of neuromodulation, allows us to influence electrical activity in key neural networks.
Neurotransmitters are chemicals within the brain that impact its electrical activity. Neurons transmit signals to one another through the release of neurotransmitters.
Improving the Brain's Electrical Activity
At Cortica, we use neurophysiological therapies to target the brain’s electrical patterns and neurotransmitter balance to improve the brain’s ability to engage, focus, learn, and develop over time.
We'll gain a better understanding of your child’s neurophysiology through:
- Information from your child's medical history
- Findings from your child's medical and neurological examination
- Lab test results
- Electroencephalography (EEG)
Based on those findings, we develop personalized therapies that may include:
- Nutritional supplements, such as vitamins, minerals, herbs, and other natural compounds
- Therapeutic procedures and devices, such as Neurofeedback, Transcutaneous Vagus Nerve Stimulation, and Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation
- Medications that help to correct atypical patterns of electrical firing or to help re-balance neurotransmitter levels
Are neurophysiological therapies right for your child? As part of your child's initial assessments with us, we'll gather the information needed to help you make an informed decision. We'll take you step-by-step through the tests results, explain what they mean, and ensure that you understand the treatment options and how they can help.